CSLB Begins Processing Applications for New B-2 License

Home Sweet Home


As we wrote about in our 2021 Construction Law Update, one of the new laws to take effect on January 1, 2021 was the enactment of SB 1189 which created a new B-2 Residential Remodeling Contractor’s license. The new license is available to contractors working on existing homes with residential wood frame structures requiring at least three (3) unrelated trades or crafts under a single contract.

Beginning June 1, 2021, the Contractors State License Board began accepting applications for the B-2 Residential Remodeling Contractor’s license. According to a press release from the CSLB:

The B-2 classification provides a pathway to licensure for many unlicensed people who are currently working on remodeling and small home improvement projects that don’t qualify for a B-General Building License because the contracted work does not include framing or rough carpentry. Consumers employing a licensed contractor have reduced liability and greater consumer protection. Licensees benefit from licensure as they have opportunities to lawfully advertise, and compete on a level playing field for jobs.

In order to qualify for a B-2 Residential Remodeling Contractor’s license, applicants must have at least four (4) years of experience working in three (3) or more trades or crafts for residential remodeling projects. Applicants can satisfy up to three (3) years of the experience requirement with qualifying education.

The Residential Remodeling Contractor’s license does come with a few restrictions, however. Residential Remodeling Contactors are:

  • Limited to working on existing (not new) residential wood frame structures;
  • Cannot make structural alterations to load-bearing partitions and walls;
  • Cannot install or extend electrical or plumbing systems but may make modifications to existing systems (e.g., install recessed lighting or alter plumbing for two shower heads); and
  • Cannot install or replace HVAC systems.

Applicants interested in obtaining a Residential Remodeling Contractor’s license will need to complete a CSLB Application for Original Contractor License, take and pass the B-2 Residential Remodeling Contractor’s examination, furnish a contractor’s license bond, and, if employing employees, obtain and maintain worker’s compensation insurance.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

%d bloggers like this: